I have been wondering a few things. So if any of you have any wisdom, please share it.
Why are palm trees tall?
It looks like this: each time they grow leaves, they put them at the very top and the leaves at the bottom die. And then another layer on top, and the second-to-bottom layer dies.
What is their survival strategy? There has to be a reason that they do it. It is probably a lot of work, which they wouldn't do just for no reason.
Why doesn't it rain in deserts?
It's a desert because it doesn't rain there, but it doesn't rain there because it's a desert?
What is the impact of wealth on the social aspect of our lives?
Here's some reasoning: The more money someone has, the more they can spend on clothes. The more money they spend on clothes, the more quality, quantity, and style the get in those clothes. If someone looks attractive, they are just that: attractive. They attract people. Therefore, they get more positive reinforcement, and confidence develops. The more confidence a person has, once again, the more attractive they are.
(does that reasoning suck? Yeah. I really hope that's not the the way the world is, because many of us are in trouble. here are my thoughts.)
Positive feedback is, and should be, given for other things too.
There are more paths to confidence and self-esteem than mere compliments.
Self-esteem based on appearance is unstable and should not be depended on anyway.
Some have argued that beauty also comes from character, health, and a well-cared-for appearance, not just a trendy one.
I discovered the above reasoning in my travels, and so I spent time watching people to see if it was true. And one often finds what one is looking for ("observational bias"). But last night, I sat down and really thought about it, especially the consequences to such thinking. A whole society of people obsessed with appearances. A society who views wealth- in money form- as the panacea. And personally, in paying particular attention to materialism, I became materialistic. where is that leading? A girl obsessed with appearances. A girl who depended on that for self esteem. A girl who would have ignored all other positive qualities about herself and other, in favor of- literally- the most superficial one.
Please comment, friends.