Monday, September 1, 2008

audition and football games

Sorry, friends. No pictures again. But an awesome story!!

So, I work for BYU catering, right? They put me up in the President's box for this season of football games. Heck yes. They must like me, because its the cushiest job in the stadium. (Sort of. I was still 12 hours on my feet.)

Anyway, I served water to Julie B. Beck! And Susan W. Tanner! (Sister Beck is the general president of the Relief Society, the women's organization in my church. She is really cool. Sister Tanner was the president of the young women of the church. She is pretty cool too.) I didn't talk to either. I was entirely too surprised. It was pretty funny, I just sort of stood there, Sister Beck took a bottle of water and got herself a cup from my stack. Somehow I kept my presence of mind when Elder Jensen or Elder Shumway came through, which was good. Catering can't have their employees freaking out at every important person they serve...

When there was a break, we sat down and figured out the menu for the next football game. Okay, so I wasn't on my feet for 12 hours straight. There were a few breaks. But they were brainstorming all these delicious meals, and I reflected on the current state of my meals. They suck. I have decided to turn over a new leaf. I went through my recipes the other day, found a few, and determined to make them this week. I have to ride my bike to the grocery store, and carry it all home in my backpack, but from now on, I will cook better.

Tonight my ward had their opening social. It was this barbecue up in Alpine, Utah. Great scenery, but long drive and rather cold up there. I met a girl with my name. And I have met other Holly's before, but she spelled it Hawley!! I had to take a few moments to wrap my head around it. Wow. She's really cool. I am going to have to step it up a notch, just to be in the running for the "cool Holly" category. (Or I could have an epiphany about not comparing myself to others... perhaps later.)

I audition for Symphonic Band on Wednesday. I wasn't worried until I picked up the excerpts we have to prepare and play. They are hard. Luckily, when I was walking down the hallway of practice rooms I heard another trumpeter practicing them, so I sat and listened. Ha ha! I'm pretty sneaky. I had a difficult time deciding whether to go through with the audition or not. But- I think I will. I don't need to play the selection perfectly, but I think I can handle playing it the best I can. That sounds simple, but it is extremely comforting, and long-awaited epiphany.

I don't know how you feel about this post. Very long, no pictures. I may edit it later. For now, I will leave my prose at that, and 'let it blend,' as Grandma Brison used to say.