We packed up and sold Peter's first home before he really got a chance to look at it. Bryan got his dream job in Washington DC. It was convenient, because we were looking for a new adventure anyway. :)
In our research about moving expenses, we never really found a good option. We just couldn't figure out how to get from Provo, UT to Washington DC without dropping $2,500. And the thing was, we didn't think we owned stuff that was worth that much. So we drug our feet, "thinking."
And then we decided to just sell everything and drive across the country with whatever we could get to fit in our car.
I think everyone thought we were crazy. They would admit it was the "logical" thing to do... but everyone seemed to be amazed that we were actually going to go through with it.
Well, we went through with it. We put our more valuable things up for sale on KSL and craigslist or arranged with friends to buy things. We held a yard sale. (And we learned that yard sales are a lot of work. We learned that if you do not prepare far in advance, you will stay up all night trying to get prepared.) Most of our things sold at the yard sale.
It was quite the experience. Have you ever bartered with people so that they will give you just a few more dollars for something that you loved and used every day?
Some things did not sell at the yard sale, so we let our friends come look at our stuff and take what they wanted. It was so wonderful to see my things in the houses of my friends instead of on shelves at DI.
We were left with 1) things we would need on our trip, 2) Small and expensive things that we knew we would want again (each item needed a yes to the question "Will I spend my limited resources to buy this item again in the future?").
I know buying all these things again will be so painful. However, imagine how wonderful it will feel to only have things that you use and love. No clutter.
With those perspectives, it was much harder to leave my friends than my stuff. I am extremely sad to leave Andrea, who is so kind. And Emily, who is more willing to help than anyone I have ever met. And Stephanie, who I only just realized I have so much to talk about with. And Erica, who offered foot massages but I was too busy to accept. And Rebecca and Alex, who get along so well with Bryan and I. And Sarah, who was so delightful to visit teach. And Leslie, who listens to no nonsense. And Melissa, who loves me. And Tiffany, who let me serve her. And Brooke, who gave me a friendship bracelet that I'm not sure I'll ever take off. And Emma Nilssen, whose strength I hope to have someday. And everyone else in our ward who made it Zion to us.
What a melancholy post.