The post you've all been waiting for! (More accurately: the post that you all have forgotten about by now, and never really cared about in the first place. But I shall proceed undeterred.) It is a basement apartment in northern Virginia. It's really close to a metro station, so Bryan walks five or ten minutes, then rides on the train for forty-five minutes to get to work. Which is a long time, but he's happy he doesn't drive there in traffic every day.
It has soft, new carpet and new paint. And new (to us) furniture. It's spacious, but it looks even more so because we sold or gave away most of our things to come out here.
Here's your tour:
As you come in the front door, you look to the left and see our front room. You will probably see Bryan, hard at work.
Allow me to point out the things I'm especially proud of. That wicker box in the left of the picture has my diaper bag, extra diapers, burp rags, and the changing mat. Before my little friend came into our house, all of that was strewn about.
I'm also proud of that bookcase. When I assembled it (mostly by myself!), I left some screws off from the back panel so we put the modem and wireless internet router into that cupboard, which is child locked. Brillant, no? Kids can't pull things off the bottom shelf or climb up it easily.
This brown wicker basket is what I call my inbox. I put mail, bills, magazines, and all other of those papers that usually clutters my desk in the box when I get them. Then, every week I use a nap time to clear it out. That way, I can procrastinate for a little while, deal with it when the kids are sleeping but offices are still open, and not have papers all over my desk until then.
This is a storage closet. We aspire someday to build shelves in there. Until then, we just leave things in the suitcases we brought them in.
A closet of boy clothes and a closet of girl clothes! So cute. Extra sizes in the boxes on the shelf. Peter's is organized by age.
There's the little sleeping boy! He's become a lot more social. He doesn't like to go to sleep when other people are in the room. And he doesn't sleep through the night anymore! He did, from about two months until four months. But now he wakes up to eat in the early morning. Oddly enough, that was Heidi's sleeping patterns too. Same ages and everything.
Recognize that picture, Valerie? Your artwork made it through the moving purge...
And my dressing table! I thought that if I had a nice place to sit and do my hair and makeup, I'd do it more often. Partially true. Whenever I do choose to spend the time there, it is delightful.
There you have it, folks! Pop in if you're ever in Washington D.C.