Tuesday, May 15, 2012

It's My Birthday!


On this day, twenty three years ago, this woman gave me life.
Three memories about my mother:

1. Once, I was being a stinker.  (Okay, I was a stinker much more than once.  But I'm thinking about one particular time.)  My mom called me something rude.  I believe it was, "Poophead."  And I really did deserve it, so I went about my day, somewhat subdued.  Later she apologized.  That day I learned, "Hmm.  I should apologize to people." Even when I would have to swallow a lot of pride, and even when I'm not 100% at fault."

2. My mother does not wear earrings.  She does not wear pink, she does not wear accessories (that bracelet in the picture?  I made that.), and she only wears skirts when absolutely necessary.  I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 20, and I was living with nine other girls.  But for Christmas one year, she gave me a pair of clip-on earrings.  She said that even though she would never wear them, she wanted me to have them if I wanted.  She was going to let me be Holly.

3. Our family moved when I was entering third grade.  Making new friends was difficult for me.  (I was a bit of an odd child.)  We were all getting ready to go to school one day, and I just randomly burst into tears.  I couldn't really talk, but between gasps I managed to blurt out, "I don't have any friends."   She didn't laugh, she didn't give me a lecture about social skills, she didn't tell me to stop crying and get my shoes on.  She was just there for me.